We’ve decided to test a new adding fractions calculator from Wolfram Alpha that will allow you to add up to 5 fractions including proper fractions, improper fractions, mixed numbers and whole numbers.
One of the great things about this calculator is that it has a step-by-step feature that shows how the problem is worked out! If you need a little refresher on these steps, check out our pages on Adding Fractions With The Same Denominator and Adding Fractions With Different Denominators.
Steps to adding fractions with different denominators
- Build each fraction so that both denominators are equal. Remember, when adding fractions with different denominators, the denominators must be equal. So we must complete this step first.
- Re-write each equivalent fraction using this new denominator
- Now you can add the numerators, and keep the denominator of the equivalent fractions.
- Re-write your answer as a simplified or reduced fraction, if needed.
Try our new calculator for adding up to 5 fractions
Solve fraction addition problems, including improper fractions, mixed numbers, negative numbers and whole numbers.
All answers are given in the reduced form.
- Enter each fraction in the fields provided (formatted like 1/3, 2 7/8, or -7/5)
- If adding less than five fractions, place a “0” in the empty boxes
- Click the Submit button button to see the result